Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Our Beautiful Thanksgiving Feast (and my fall mantle too!)

Hi Friends,

I hope you had a lovely thanksgiving. I did.

It has taken me a while to begin getting into the Christmas spirit, because it has been so warm out and hasn't snowed at all, (I've really enjoyed it, though its a little strange) but this Sunday I went to the early service (my favorite) at Unity and Ahriana really inspired me with what she had to share about Advent and all of the anticipation and gentle preparing for the coming of the new that can be so lovingly celebrated this time of year. I got very excited and went right away to buy some candles (one big brilliant gold one for the center, and 4 sage green tapers) and a grapevine wreath to make my own Advent wreath for Pres and I to light each night during this season so that we could be a part of the sacredness of this time. That afternoon I went on a sunny hike with Audrey and along the way I found some fallen evergreen branches to decorate our Advent wreath with. Its so beautiful, that immediately after setting it up, I could feel the Christmas Spirit begin to stir within me!!

I always love this time of year so much. I love that it is an end to the year that has passed. I love all of the warmth we create with our traditions. I love the sparkle of lights, and the drawing near of loved ones. I love the winter solstice, the darkest day of the year, where we can begin to celebrate the return of the light. It is such a powerful time for transformation, and I love the opportunity it presents each year to look back over the last 12 months, and to take note of what dreams and goals we've brought to life. We can celebrate our victories, and cherish the memories we've created. And then comes the new year!! What a joy to spend some sacred time visioning what we dream of for the next year and starting all over again fresh! I love that we get this chance every year. Ever since I started paying attention to the deeper meaning of all this, and really using this as powerful time for creating, I've experienced more joy and accomplished more dreams than ever before. Thanks mom, for gifting me with The Sacred Journey Journal, 5 or 6 years ago. (This is a powerful tool, a journal/day timer that is really helpful with annual dreaming and goal setting) I've used one each year ever since, and even though I'll only use part of it this year (I'll be walking the other part) I still can't imagine a new year's with out it.

That said, I am getting in the Christmas spirit, and I thought I should share some pics of our lovely Thanksgiving feast with you before the season has passed. And of course, you have to see a few pictures of my fall mantle before I take it down! :)


Thanksgiving Feast

This is our warm Thanksgiving table at my mom and Scott's house...





Spicy Silk Nog...




Stuffing, one of Preston's favorites...




My favorite Thanksgiving dish, sweet potatoes, my great grammy's style cooked in butter (earth balance) and maple syrup....




This year my mom tried something new instead of green bean casserole, and it was yummmm! Asparagus with Annie's Yum Sauce and of course crispy onions on top...




Squashes with stuffing...




My other Thanksgiving favorite (thanks, mom!) Squash Rolls





For our entree this year, little pot pies....




For dessert I made 2 things:




Grammy's apple pie (with a whole wheat crust)

And....Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake, which was simply amazing.









My Fall Mantle

Here is my fall mantle for this year. It was simple and came together little by little, but it warmed me up to light all of the candles almost every day and watch it glow in honor of autumn...



















Audrey found me four large acorns which were the beginning of this little display. Preston brought the little pumpkin gourds home for me one night so I added them. Then when we were visiting Kansas City for Mom and John's Hallow-tini party I found so many beautiful acorns and some other large tree seeds at the Overland Park Arboretum and brought them home and it was complete...



















Preston bought me these precious little fall critters candles early this season...















This is the wreath I made for our front door...










I hope you had a wonderful fall as I did. Are you getting into the Christmas spirit? What are you doing to prepare--body, mind, and spirit for the season? Leave a comment!

Love,
Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails