Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Coconut-Banana Raisin Oat Bran Muffins (Vegan and Wheat-free)

I've been eating a great deal of raw-food lately and I'll have to tell you how its changed my life later, but today i felt like baking. I'm rarely eating wheat or gluten anymore because I just feel so much better not eating it, so I wanted something flour-free. I had some ingredients left over from bringing muffins to breakfast with friends last weekend and couldn't resist making an even more delightful version of an already yummy classic.

And they are Vegan and wheat-free,too.

Did you know that a Vegan diet is completely free of bad cholesterol? Many people never knew that, and although being vegan won't be everyone's chosen path, it sure can benefit everyone to eat vegan now and again. Bad cholesterol simply doesn't exist in plant-based foods. And the great thing is, most recipes can be easily converted to their vegan counterpart.

So if you feel like having a muffin that is free of cholesterol, quick to make, and simply delicious (especially warm out of the oven with a little Earth Balance or coconut butter spread on it) here's a recipe for you!

Oh and I used organic ingredients, many that can be found in the bulk section of your local natural foods store.



Coconut-Banana Raisin Bran Muffins (Makes 12)

Dry Ingredients (combine well in a large bowl)

~2 cups oat bran
~2 teaspoons baking powder (I use the aluminum free kind you can get anywhere)
~1 teaspoon sea salt
~3/4 cup organic raisins
~2 teaspoons organic cinnamon
1/2 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes (eww don't use the sweet kind from the store, it usually has propylene glycol in it, which is kind of like anti-freeze. Gross.

Wet Ingredients (whisk together in a small bowl)

~3/4 cup almond milk (I like this better than soy, but you could use any dairy alternative milk)
~2 Tablespoons oil (such as canola)
~A tiny bit under 1/2 cup liquid sweetener such as raw agave nectar (the kind that's not boiled down) or pure maple syrup. I consider these sweeteners to be a little easier for my body to process and less addictive than cane sugar. I used agave when I made this recipe.
~1 banana, mashed up smooth :)
~Egg Replacer for 2 eggs. Now, with the banana in here, I don't know if this is necessary, as the banana should act as a binder, but I haven't tried it without yet and I have Ener-G Egg Replacer on hand so I used it, and the muffins came out fabulous. If you want to use it, you can grab a box at your natural foods store. The measurements are on the back and its just a powder that you whip up with some warm water. Easy egg-replacer for many baked recipes.

Combine wet with dry ingredients, and it should be firmer than cake batter (it shouldn't just drip off of a spoon, but shouldn't be as firm as cookie dough either) And if its too liquidy, just add a bit more coconut until desired consistency is reached. You can add more oat bran, but this can leave your muffins too dry if you over-do it.

oil muffin tin, fill cups to 3/4 way full.

Oven at 420 degrees F. My oven is extra hot, and the original recipe says 425, but you'll have to adjust according to your oven.

Bake for 15-17 delicious-smelling minutes, the sides will be golden.

Remove from oven. (duh. Unless of course you enjoy a good oven-blackened muffin.

let cool for a few, then remove muffins from tin and let cool on a rack for a few more, then spread with Earth Balance (available at your local natural foods store) and enjoy!!!!

Also enjoy not feeling as bloated or mucusy due to no processed flour, and enjoy not adding to your heart attack risk, and a multitude of other problems I won't get into right now.

Ok. Go make some muffins.

Oh and if you read this post, do drop me a comment if ya don't mind. I'm trying to figure out if anyone reads my blog. Lol.

Love,
Abbey

P.S. I haven't actually forgotten about my Spring Cleaning Challenge just to let you all know, and I've completed several tasks on my list since my last post (like painting the desk I'm sitting at now!), but summer has a dreamy good hold on me and I've been enjoying the sun more and haven't made time to blog as often. Let me know if you've kept up with your goals!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails