Saturday, July 16, 2011

Strawberry Omega 3 Power Smoothie (Raw, Vegan, Organic)

This morning I whipped up this quick, raw breakfast smoothie for an energy-rich treat loaded with Omega 3s and high in healthy, plant-based protein.

I have a smoothie for breakfast almost everyday, and it is a great way to ease your digestive system into the day.

Ingredients: (Makes 1-1 1/2 servings)

~You can modify this however you like, and change quantities, add or omit ingredients to get the consistency and flavor you like. You could also add spinach to get some green power without changing the flavor too much. ~

1 1/2-2 Frozen Organic Bananas (we just buy a ton, let them ripen a few days, then put them in a ziplock in the freezer for smoothies all week!)

1/2-1 cup Frozen Organic Strawberries

1 1/2-2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk (homemade for true raw or storebought for possibly raw)

1 very soft Organic Medjool Date, pitted (If you use a super soft one, it will blend in better and there won't be lumps which grosses me out, personally)

3 Tablespoons Raw Hulled Hemp Seed, ground (You can buy them refridgerated for freshness from Natural Grocers and grind them in a coffee or spice grinder right before use so they retain highest quality) These add 9 grams protein, and 2000mg Omega 3s!

2 Tablespoons Organic Flax Seed, ground (same with these, refridgerate them and grind right before use) These add another 5 grams protein and magnesium, zinc, and of course, Omega 3s!

Blend, and enjoy! (using a straw or a spoon makes it yummier I swear!)
Add more Almond milk to thin, more frozen fruit to thicken.

I ususally have a smoothie for breakfast then a snack in late morning, and if my body wants more food right off the bat, I will eat either a piece of fresh fruit or some raw granola with almond milk. This week I am going to try out making my own Berry Nut Breakfast Bars in the dehydrator! I'll report back on those. Happy Morning, and feel free to share your own smoothie creations with me!

Love,
Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails