Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Favorite Raw Hummus!

Hi Friends!

This is my version of a raw hummus. It is a cashew-based hummus that is wonderful for dipping crackers, chips, and veggies in as a snack. For lunch or dinner, it mimics cheese and works great in between slices of tomato with fresh basil leaves like a caprese salad! Also try on raw crusts or flatbreads as a spread for little mediterrenean pizzas with spinach, kalamata olives, tomatoes, etc!

I like it better than a raw chickpea hummus, because I am not a huge fan of the taste of sprouted legumes in hummus (I prefer them in a sprout salad) and I think it mimics the texture/taste of hummus much better, while remaining raw so you don't have to sacrifice on enzymatic quality and therefore energy!

Cashews make a great base for wonderful raw vegan cheeses, cream sauces, and cashew whipped cream, easily replacing the need for dairy in one's diet. Yay cashews!

My version of Raw Cashew Hummus:

Throw all of this in a food processor or Vitamix:

2 cups organic raw cashews, soaked a couple hours to overnight (soaking nuts removes their naturally occurring enzyme inhibitors, making them easier to digest, thus giving you more energy)

1/4 cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice (usually about one lemon)

1 small clove garlic

2 big spoons of raw sesame tahini (I use Artisana brand or make my own by putting sesame seeds in a food processor with a little oil or water)

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup or a little more or less water as needed to reach desired consistency (add this as you need it after blending other ingredients)

A little cayenne pepper if you like it!

Blend it up and add water a little at a time until it is the fluffy, smooth consistency of hummus. I always have to scrape down the sides of the food processor as I go.


I make this almost weekly to have in the fridge as a great raw snack, and quick, easy lunch/dinner idea.

Enjoy!

Love, Ab

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails