Friday, March 19, 2010

A Little Creative Inspiration For You: Spring Wreath Project

Because we just moved, and we are partially still in boxes, I didn't think too much about how to decorate for Spring and Easter, but I could hardly stand it and I had to make something to add a little touch of special preparation for this time of year...



I decided to keep it simple, and for about $8- $10 or less I created this sweet little wreath for our door. It was really fun, and with all my work on pieces for Love's Garden, I haven't made as much time to make things for myself lately, so it was a good opportunity to make something pretty for the cottage. Maybe you will be inspired to make one of your own creation!


A Little Spring Wreath:


Materials:


  • Grapevine wreath 16-18 in, mine was $2.99



  • a sprig of faux flowers (I chose a single branch of white cherry blossom flowers) with lots of little heads or stems to be removed, mine were $3



  • faux eggs, craft stores sell many kinds this time of year, but mine were paper mache eggs in a pack of 12 for $2, robin's egg size, and I painted and attatched wire myself


  • craft paint for the eggs if needed (I already had some)

  • wire for the eggs if needed (I also already had this)
How to:

1. Gently remove flower stems from branch. Every type of faux flower is different, but most are easy to remove. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of faux flowers, but I've found that if used minimally and if you choose the right ones, they can have a pretty result. And they are good for a quick project. So I decided to use them in this project. In the future I may try making my own from paper...

Leave on enough stem to use for tucking in to wreath for the easiest project. You could also use old scissors if needed and you can always glue the flowers, but I plan on using the same grapevine wreath and switching out the decor each season so I didn't choose to glue.

2. Gently tuck flowers in around the wreath as evenly spaced as you like, keeping a balanced look, unless you are going for the wild and crazy look which I'm also in support of, so if that's the case, knock yourself out... ;) Its your wreath!



This is my majestic, beautiful, funny cat, Spoofer. She likes to be very involved in/sit on all my projects. In this case, I'm pretty sure she thought this was a spring-themed nest that I made just for her. In any case, I was able to capture this portrait of her, and I particularly love the look in her eyes. Its like she knows she's sitting on my work. Of course.





3. I then painted my eggs in off white and tan. I really wanted some of them to be robin's egg blue, but I didn't have that color in craft paint, so I'll probably add some in that color later.



4. My eggs didn't come with wire already in them, so I added some by poking the wire through the bottom of the egg.



5. I then twisted the wire around itself,


to make thicker wire to work with,



And there you have it.
6. Then like you did with the flowers, tuck the eggs around the wreath however you like.
Your wreath is done! Hang in somewhere inspiring!
Here is my finished wreath which I hung on our cottage front door:
Have fun crafting!
Love,
Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails